Monday, September 8, 2008

Woefully negligent

Yes, yes, I know I owe you guys some pictures.  I promise, once things settle at school, I will be the queen of touristy dorks and take my camera everywhere!  In the meantime, I'm seriously drowning in paperwork.  Those of you who have taught with me, or have been witness to September, know how stressful this time of year is anyway.  It's exponentially more challenging without my technological resources (not sure when I became such a technophile), and an entirely new curriculum.  I'm putting in very, very, long days and hoping to have it a bit more under control by the weekend (which would be nice since school starts Monday for kids!)

We hear "everyone" (meaning the entire country, apparently) went hiking to the seven lakes this weekend.  Sadly, we missed it, but are hoping for more nice weather and a chance to go this coming weekend.  It seems the weather will turn pretty foggy, wet, and cold around here sometime in late October or early November, so we have to enjoy the countryside as much as possible while we can.  (This, of course, is in direct contradiction to my need to plan all my units as soon as possible.  I'm having to learn to let it go and plan as I get closer to needing stuff.  It's killing me.)  The weather has been incredible though.  Not a drop of rain since we arrived.  Sunny, cloudless skies and very, very warm.  I think we hit 30 today.  It's an odd experience to have weather warm enough to warrant open windows and to be able to smell someone burning a campfire (not sure where in the middle of the city, but ok.)

We had an interesting weekend.  We went with our neighbors to see Batman, Dark Knight.  It was in English with Bulgarian subtitles.  The theatre here is awesome, and usually empty, though I don't know why.  Apparently, most movies are in their native language with Bulgarski subtitles, which is cool for us!  We are studying Bulgarian every day, and we are both making progress with reading, but we're pretty challenged when it comes to speaking.  This is a very hard language!  

Last night I went to Taj Mahal, an Indian restaurant in downtown.  Now it certainly doesn't compare to Harish's house, but it was pretty decent, if a little expensive.  Not exactly the same as home, but pretty close.  And the best news is that they DELIVER!  (Though I'm warned it takes about 2 hours.)  We were also directed to several other good places to eat, which we will be trying over the coming weeks.  Don't you folks worry, by the time you come to visit, we will have scoped out all the great establishments.

I hear in news from home that my house was the place to be yesterday!  Apparently this was a successful open house, with much thanks to Alanna and Andy, and the generous neighbors who lent yard equipment and spyed for us!  So far, no news about offers, but we keep hoping. Expenses keep cropping up here that we didn't expect - all the things we thought we'd be glad to be rid of seem to be necessities, like a car and cell phones.  (Don't worry, we won't be calling anyone internationally!  Though I just found out if I put money on my skype account, I can call 800 numbers in the US for free - yay!)

Interesting fact of the day:  our neighborhood is called Mladost, which I learned means "youth."  It is a indeed a young, up and coming area.  I keep likening it to Park Slope of 10 years ago.  The construction and renovation is unbelievable!  And it is nearly impossible to walk down the street without being run down by beautiful couples with beautiful babies in strollers.  The people here are as gorgeous as we were told!  And on that note, it's nearing midnight here, so I have to get some sleep to be fresh for my Bulgarian lesson tomorrow...

No comments: