Monday, February 2, 2009

Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sofia, Basilica Cistern, Blue Mosque and more...

To get away from all the hustle and bustle of Istanbul, I took a ferry to Prince's Islands for lunch. Below are some views from the island and from the ferry. We sailed into the Sea of Marmara and were able to see both the Asian and European sides of Turkey simultaneously.


This sounded really cool, till I couldn't figure out which ferry to take back and with only a few hours to spare before my train left...I got dumped on the Asian side, lost, about an hour long bus ride away from the metro stop that would take me back to Sultanahmet (and the hotel and train station) with only 10YTL (new Turkish Lira) in my pocket. It was my own version of the Amazing Race and it was hilarious!












What a lovely surprise at sunset to stumble upon St. Anthony's of Padua, one of the only Catholic churches in Istanbul as I walked down Iskalal Caddesi - the pedestrain shopping street in Taksim.




The sultan's bed at Topkapi Palace

Junior in the courtyard at Topkapi




The view from Topkapi




As you leave the Hagia Sophia...

This cat (clearly the smartest of the strays that rule Istanbul) found a warm spot from which to pray and people watch...



Mosaics






The Medusa heads at the back of the Basilica Cistern





View of the Blue Mosque from my hotel room balcony
Inside the Blue Mosque



No comments: