Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Baden Baden is my happy place

Here I am, at the beginning of my last European vacation for a while, back in Baden Baden. I know I've said it before, but it merits saying again. There really is something special about this place. It's serene and beautiful, and it makes me happy. I'm so lucky to have friends here and to have been able to visit twice. I certainly hope to return again soon.






My first trip here came at an important time: a time of contemplation, change, decision, and searching. I came here alone, spent time exploring with Geoffrey and Cora, and some time wandering on my own, thinking. This second trip comes at the culmination of all those choices, on the brink of my new life beginning.

I’m so pleased that on this trip to BB, I get to share the serenity of German floral and forest paradise with Danny. I’m trying to convince him to write a blogpost, but until then you can enjoy his perspective through photographs.


As always, food was a priority for us. We sampled German baked goods (Danny claims the best waffle he's ever eaten) and of course, ice cream.
When walking down Lichtentaler Allez, the fragrance of apples wafts from the rose garden. Never before have I smelled roses so intense that they create the illusion of being in an orchard. The aromatic experience is completed with fountains and benches to sit and enjoy the view of the mountains and castles of the Black Forest in the distance.



Though we did not attend the baths or hike to any castles this time, we did spend some time in the vineyards of the Alsacian wine country. We also spent time admiring the beauty of the myriad varieties of dahlias in yet another public garden.
I also enhanced my zen experience by attending a yoga class with Cora, which was an incredible way to start the day! This trip was also special because we had time to see the exhibit at the Kunsthalle, including a guided tour with Cora. BB is a place that brings me peace and happiness. It was a fantastic beginning to our European extravaganza.

No comments: