Saturday, August 25, 2018

Land of 10,000 Lakes

It's been four years since I posted on this blog.  Lots of things have changed in that time, but traveling is still an important part of my life.  I plan to write some retro posts about the trips I've taken, but for now, I'll start with the places I visited this summer.

Instead of one big trip, this year I took two smaller trips.  In early July, I got to experience Midwestern hospitality in Minnesota.  I spent a lovely few days with friends on Lake Mary where we biked, we kayaked, we picked strawberries, and we drank gin and tonics! (Thanks, S, for being a great bartender!) The three August birthdays celebrated with a great meal and I had a couple of culinary firsts.  I tasted Wall Eye for the first time and I was lucky enough to experience honeyberries. (They were past peak season and weren't available for picking.  In true Midwestern fashion, the girl at the farm stand took me on a special excursion to a part of the farm not open to the public so we could find a bush that still had some berries.  So sweet!)

It was a nice change of pace from city-life.  These are the only photos I have though - we were too busy having fun to take pictures.
This little one bolted toward me with a story to tell.  She was so happy to be pet, that she drooled all over me.  I couldn't resist!  Shortly after this, she scampered back into the tall grass and returned to her less-than-graceful hunting.




Lake life is the best life!

From there I headed on to Colorado where J and I spent some time visiting the fam.  It was surprisingly hot, but we cooled off in the mountain caves, on a night out in Vail, and with some tasty treats at The Denver Central Market and Little Man Ice Cream.  
A, age 3




Sibling love



Cheese Face!


And of course, no trip is complete without a game of hide and seek:



Uncle J is the best!

No comments: