Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas in Brussels




























OK, so it was actually 12 days before Christmas, but it was close enough to make it festive.  In my brief 30 hours or so in Brussels, I was able to see most of the city from the street and from above in a great ferris wheel.  I stayed at the Hotel Welcome, an adorable boutique hotel right in St. Catherine's, which turned out to be an incredible location thanks to the ice skating rink and Christmas market.  (Thank you Samantha Brown for that suggestion!)  I drank amazing hot chocolate, ate fantastic pastries, and rode what I am convinced is the world's most confusing metro system.  This was a trip all about seredipity...that began because my friends Brett and Betsy found tickets to fly there from Sofia on a direct flight for only 44leva (about $30).  The return trip wasn't on Sunday though, so I used some BA miles and took Malev, the Hungarian airline back home.  I had such a good experience on Malev, that today I booked tickets for me and Alanna to fly with them again, this time to Budapest.  We will be spending Christmas in Hungary!  Keep your eyes on the blog for upcoming images of Christmas in Buda, Pest, and of course, Sofia...

No comments: