Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sofia: The More Things Change, The More They Stay the Same

Other than riding the new metro out to Mladost (life altering!), Sofia wasn't any different than two years ago. Surprisingly both my geography and Bulgarian were up to par, providing for pleasant taxi experiences and tours.

I got to eat at all of my favorite places, including the doner stand in Mladost 1A by my old apartment, Под липите, and Annette. But more importantly, I got to spend time (not nearly enough!) with my favorite people, J&M and the boys, J, and R.

Mama still guards campus. She likes me much better now that I arrive sans-Arissa.


Pretty much everyone who heard I was traveling to Bulgaria for my February vacation thought I was crazy. "Why would you go to Sofia?" I won't deny that it's an unusual choice, or that it's a touch place to live, but I'm grateful both for the opportunity to have lived there, and for the chance to go back and share it as a tourist. Seeing the city through new eyes, it's a place that exists now in more than just stories, but is immortalized forever in sensory experiences and, of course, (get 'er done, JDS) Sofia BINGO :)

No comments: