Saturday, April 2, 2011

Verona, Italy

And so began the trip...Verona, a city of history and love. I was so fortunate that my colleague, P, was raised here and was able to help me plan. She put me in touch with her fabulous sister and brother-in-law, R and E, who graciously welcomed me into their home, their friends' home, and shared with me their romantic city. As I walked along the cobblestone, I just kept marveling that people actually live here.


R and E


No trip to Italy is complete without gelato taste-tests in every city. World travelers and Italian natives, feel free to weigh in with your opinions. (You can post anonymously.) For now, I'll keep mine quiet.






Standing on top of the city at the Arena di Verona.

During the weekend of the Verona Marathon, we were treated to impromptu medieval dancing in the square. I like to imagine that this is much like the Capulet Ball would have been.



In this city of star-crossed lovers, couples walk across the bridge and attach a lock. Tossing the key into the river symbolizes the unbreakable bond of their love.


This is, quite possibly, a city that ties Paris and Baden Baden for being the most romantic.

No comments: