Friday, June 19, 2009

Christopher John Francis Boone and the Tour of Bulgaria


*The post below is Jr's.  The genius couldn't figure out how to make this website appear in English and doesn't know enough Bulgarian to muddle through, so I copy and pasted his text here.  Like Cat's post, Jr opted for creativity...his inspiration was The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.


2
Supposedly I’m the world’s smartest dumb person. Potentially I’m the world’s dumbest smart person.  They mean entirely different things, but I’m unaware as to which people are referring.
3
These people who refer to me in these manners could be known as Stone, Feline, and Scuba. These are generic forms of the same sounds that make up their name, or some associative term, so it is just as accurate a term to use to designate said persons.  Even though two are inanimate objects and one is a domesticated animal that doesn’t sit well with me most of the time, it didn’t stop me from procuring various carbohydrate-loaded foods and climbing into the backseat of a vehicle with these people.
5
Let me tell you about this back seat. It has a sliding headrest, that you can try to move up and down to make it more comfortable, but it just fails. Otherwise it is like most other back seats. Cramped, less than perfectly comfortable, but, it’s a seat. I slept a bit as we headed through the countryside.
7
Belogradchik has rocks. Lots of rocks. They are unlike any other rocks I have seen before. Similar, but different. Someone decided that the position was strategic, when considering the surrounding area and its location, so they built a fortress on one of the higher hills between the rocks. Considering the carefulness one had to use to scale the stone steps to reach the stronghold, I’d have to agree that the position was a strong one, but wonder whether or not, over the course of a week or two weeks, a garrisoned unit could survive a siege due to lack of supplies.
11
I had wanted to be amused on the trip, so Stone announced we’d be playing a searching game. I’m not so good at the searching games because I don’t always remember what I’m looking for, and if I do, a lot of the time I don’t remember that I’m playing the searching game. Since the list was long, and I was struggling, I decided to settle for a search for a fire without visible people near it.  There were lots of fires, but all of them were too far away to tell whether they were attended. So I kept searching.
13
Scuba drove to Veliko Tarnovo.  There is supposedly a light show there, but it didn’t happen that night.  Perhaps other people didn’t want to see it. It probably would have been cool though.
17
Walking around the fortress in Veliko was brilliant.  The fortress is a defensive stronghold, surrounded by nearly 360° of river, high on a bluff.  Additionally, the far banks of the river are steep hills down to the river, which means a treacherous decent, followed by an amphibious operation to get to the walls of the fortress (including an ascent), and then the walls must be breached.  Oh wait, that is if the assault did not want to go along the narrow isthmus that connects the fortress with the surrounding hills and attempt to slam through the gates. Actually, that might be less daunting. Perhaps the original planners of Veliko had this in mind, something of forcing the opposition into a medieval Stalingrad, although one without explosives.
19
After Veliko we headed to another strategic point, Shipka pass.  This time there was no water, just a big mountain from which the entire surrounding area can be seen. In 1877, Russian/Bulgarian troops took the pass from the Turks, then held it through the winter, sealing this strategic landmark, effectively scoring a decisive battle in the war, which freed Bulgaria from Turkish rule.
23
From there Scuba brought Stone, Feline and myself home. I guess this doesn’t have much about what we did, or things like that. But in terms of what happened, the importance of Shipka, Belogradchik and Veliko as strategic strongholds seems slightly more important. Who knows. Anyway, I believe Feline, Scuba and Stone are also contributing, so this is my contribution, however worthwhile it is. After all, I was told I should write things down to keep a record of them.

No comments: