Monday, June 1, 2009

A lovely way to travel

Prior to moving to Europe, my experience with long distance trains was pretty limited: Amtrak from Albany to New York.  When I got here, everyone raved about how great traveling on the trains is...so we jumped on board the first chance we got, taking the train 12 hours overnight from Sofia to Belgrade.  A few months later, I tried again, this time riding 13 hours overnight from Sofia to Istanbul...let's just say riding these legs of the famed Orient Express was not as glamorous as I had imagined.  (You can read stories about these journeys in posts from September and February.)  I was a little skeptical about taking the 5 1/2 hour ride from Berlin to Prague, but for only 64 Euro, I couldn't pass up a chance to see East Germany.  Armed with our ipods and books, we boarded the train with some folks from Canada, and settled in for the ride.  Luckily, this trip was everything it was cracked up to be.  What a pleasant surprise!

Cat and I hung out in the dining car for a while...and had a lovely salad while we gazed out the windows.





No comments: