Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Eatin' well in Prague


George, the chocolate monkey


For our first dinner in Prague, we went to Cafe Louvre. We ate outside on a rooftop patio between buildings...it was adorable. I started with an asparagus appetizer, since 'tis the season...

For our main courses, Cat ordered Vaclav Havel's favorite dish, roast beef in a carrot sauce, cranberries and sour cream, with a side of potato dumplings...it was interesting...

Sticking with the cranberry theme, I ordered the duck breast with cranberry sauce, leek saute, and potato cakes...delicious!



That evening we headed out to Radost for dessert. Lounging on a comfy, bright pink couch, listening to the DJ spin, we indulged in chocolate cake and key lime pie.



After walking around Old Town all day, and then strolling across the Charles Bridge on our way to Prague Castle, we decided to stop for lunch. Cat continued her quest to try all the Czech beers, while I continued to enjoy Czech cuisine. (Cat was ready for a change and went for jalapeno poppers for an appetizer; I had potato pancakes with cabbage.)

Grabbing every opportunity, once again I ordered the duck. This time it was in a cabernet demi-glace. Again, delicious!


While strolling down Parizska (the street of Paris, which has beautiful buildings and all the shops you'd find on Madison Ave), we stopped at a cafe for coffee treats.



That same night (oh yes, the entire day was focused on eating), we went for our final dinner in Prague. Having had our fair share of Czech food, we felt compelled to try something different. We gave in to the ubiquitous messages that we were meant to eat Thai and headed across the street from our hotel to the Lemon Leaf Restaurant. It was amazing!

We began with a goat cheese salad appetizer. I realize the picture doesn't do it justice...but notice it's half eaten...it was so good I couldn't stop long enough to take the photo! The goat cheese was baked in honey, then covered with pistachio pesto and sitting atop spring mix drizzled with balsamic...wow.

We opted to dine family style, since we wanted one of everything. The first dish was a veggie couscous, including more fresh asparagus. The second dish was pork and lime rice with tomato sauce. So good!



On our last day, we crossed the bridge again and this time made it all the way to Prague Castle. On our way back down, we stopped for lunch at one of the cafes on the grounds. I had a chef salad that was as big as my head. That's chicken, heirloom tomatos, bacon, and fresh mozzerlla you see.

And we certainly couldn't leave without dessert after we laid eyes on the apple streudel with vanilla custard sauce...yup, those are vanilla beans in there!



And the highlight of the trip....Staroceske Trdlo...crazy bread! The closest thing we have in the states is a sweet pretzel. Basically, it's a bun dough that is dipped in crushed almonds, cinnamon, and sugar, then grilled so all those goodies carmelize. This is a mini-version of the yummy fire roasted treats Alanna and I had in the Budapest Christmas markets. Lucky for me, not only are the ones in Prague better, they are available year round! Luckier for me, I discovered this on our first evening, and my favorite shop was in walking distance to everything we did...so I went back over, and over, and over, and over....you get the idea...





And fyi...I did find a recipe on the internet to make them on a grill at home...I will definitely try it out and let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

Robert Pastore said...

I don't think there's anything that could make me more jealous than those pictures of food, coffee and desserts! Of all the things I like about Ghana, the ultra-spicy rice beans meat and plantains that I eat almost every day just doesn't do it for me.... It looks like based on food - and really, what else more important is there? - that you had a great time in Praha!